<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 24, 2003

As I posted in my previous blog, I am very upset about the idea that speaking out against the government is being considered by some to be unpatriotic.

I am sorry that Michael Moore got booed last night on the Oscars. I don’t know that the Oscars is the ideal forum at which to speak one’s piece but Michael Moore, doing the work he does, is a cultural and societal critic. He would not have been being true to his work and his beliefs if he had not said something.

Below is an excerpt from an e-mail newsletter I get from the folk group: The Nields. I saw Narissa and Katryna Nields perform when I was in college and I have been following them ever since. Below is an excerpt from an e-mail that Narissa sent today. Like Narissa, I think the criticism of Natalie Maines is ridiculous.

The Nields Website

Nerissa's note:
Also, I am calling my senators to tell them what I think of this war and how our government is handling things, because as helpless as I feel, I know I'll feel better if I throw my drop into a bucket I believe in.

I read this today in the New York Times:

Many music and radio executives said that they felt that artists were being discouraged from doing anything out of the normal. They pointed to the recent flap over disparaging comments Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks made about President Bush, which has led to her music being banned on several radio stations and promotional stunts that involve dumping Dixie Chicks CD's into trash cans. They also mentioned that producers of both the Grammy Awards and the Academy Awards have asked winners not to mention the international situation in their acceptance speeches. (The Dixie Chicks' lead singer, Natalie Maines, told a London audience, "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas.")

Questioning the patriotism of Hollywood activists is a favorite theme of celebrity-bashing Internet sites. Famousidiot.com is a case in point. Under the banner, "They don't speak for US," the site ranks celebrities according to the number of "anti-Americanisms" they've supposedly uttered.


**********************************************************************

Number One: I find myself in the unusual position of being grateful that I am not famous enough to get radio play and therefore do not have to worry about having it taken away from me. Natalie Maines said what she wanted to say andis being punished for her First Amendment right to speak her mind. The rules are different in wartime? Oh, dear. I think I will buy a few extra copies of the Dixie Chicks new album Home to give to people as gifts. (It's one of my favorite albums of 2002. It rocks.)

Number Two: What is "patriotism"? I learned in school that this word meant deep love and support of one's country.

I am a patriot. I love the United States of America. I pledge my allegience. Does that mean I do not question authority? Does that mean bow my head and go along when a President (who was not actually elected by a majority of the people) deliberately misleads the public by trying to make us believe that an (albeit unsavory and nasty) dictator was responsible for the attact of 9/11 when in fact there is no evidence at all to support that?

This land was made for you and me. O beautiful, for purple mountains, for amber waves, for spacious skies, for brotherhood and sisterhood and religious freedom and tolerance. For refuge, for the open arms of Ellis Island and the dignified serenity and pride of the Statue of Liberty (a gift from the French, by the way).


Today, I am going to be grateful that my enforced confinement here is keeping me from using any more fossil fuel. Every day I choose not to drive isanother drop in that bucket I believe in. I will take this day to write my songs and novels and make phone calls and write e-mails, walk my dog, clean my house, pray for peace. And support the troops abroad by praying for their safety and also the safety of those they are bombing. It's a paradox, butthat's what life's about.

God bless you all, and God bless the United States of America. And God bless the land and people of Iraq.

Love, Nerissa

Just wanted to share Nerissa’s thoughts with you.

On a side note, my life is chaos. Work is out of control. I am going to the batting cages with my Dad and brother Bobby tonight, something totally out of the norm for me. I am so excited to be going to a place where hitting something is encouraged. I need to get the random energy and anxiety out. Hopefully I will actually make contact. I have not swung a bat in 12 years.

Peace to each of you.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Feedback by backBlog