<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 20, 2003

I am neither smart enough or rational enough to blog about the war. It is too overwhelming to me to be a managable topic for blogging.

Simpler things:

In times of uncertainty, I turn to the simplest and most familiar forms of entertainment to distraction. For example, I am currently listening to the Carpenters Love Songs. For the past week, I have listened to at least thirty minutes of Barry Manilow in work. I know that both are joke worthy but to me, they are comforting. They make me think of my Mom and Dad, my Gram and Pop. For the two years that my Pop outlived my Gram, the Carpenters Love Songs was his constant. I think of him, and his love for my Gram everytime I hear Karen Carpenter's beatifully haunting voice. I miss them everyday. I miss their strange jokes, the crazy dynamic they shared, and my Gram's constant humming and singing.

Speaking of singing, American Idol has been a great distraction from the current world situation. Don't get me wrong, I make sure I am informed. I read the news, check in on CNN and MSNBC several times a day. But having some frivolous things to focus on are much appreciated. I am loving Ruben and Clay. Those boys can sing! I can not believe how different they are from each other but I predict that both will be in the final four.

Final four: I know almost nothing about college basketball but we did our brackets in my (soon to be former) office. So far, I am not doing too badly in my blind picks- I mostly chose by picking teams that are from Exec Doc schools! We have everyone's picks posted and we even have a leader board. I will miss this kind of craziness when I leave my job. Craziness like people making a huge fuss over Michelle's delicious homemade cookies, Matt's endless supply of sweater vests, Kelly's general looniness and all around sense of humor, Michael exploding a soda in the office mini-freezer, Doug's dirty gym socks on the window sill of his office. It feels so strange to only have a week left in this job. I can only imagine what it will be like.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Feedback by backBlog