<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 11, 2003

I spent the morning reading blogs. I am fascinated by the amount of talented people out there who are writing and sharing and are doing so really well. I think one of the keys to good writing is creating something that others can identify with or can escape into. Novelists, screenwriters, and other professionals do this on a semi-regular basis. It is wonderful, though, to enjoy the work of so many who are using the internet to share their work.

One of the blogs I have been reading for a few weeks is a great illustration of writing about a specific instance in a universal way. Stacey George Scroll to Stacey's March 6 entry for a very funny and touching story. I remember a few years ago when my dad had a similar talk with my brother, who is now 12 years old. Bobby ended the conversation by telling my Dad, “I think I have learned enough for today, Dad.” So funny!

Speaking of parents, I heard about the most extraordinary family yesterday, the Bollmanns of Virginia. They were on Oprah yesterday as well as on ABC Family Channel’s My Life is A Sitcom. The Bollmann’s started off like most families- Mom, Dad, two sons, two daughters- a little larger than most families today and a little more faithful in terms of religious beliefs. Then a family moved in next door with seven children. The neighboring kids and the Bollmann kids get to be friends. Soon Mom and Dad Bollmann notice that the neighbor kids have rotting teeth. The youngest neighbor daughter asks Mom Bollmann to be her Mom. It is at this point that the Bollmann’s realize that there is a bigger issue here. Alot of stuff happens (I know, I am a gifted story teller!) The neighbor kids are eventually adopted by the Bollmann’s resulting in a multi-racial family of 11 kids! Crazy! The kids have since formed a music group called Blended. They have been on Good Morning America, Sally Jesse Raphael, and now Oprah and My Life is a Sitcom. I was just enthralled by this family. First of all, I know some adoptive parents and they are pretty much the most giving people I have ever met. But to adopt 7 siblings into your three bedroom, 1 bath home! Luckily the Bollmann’s live in a supportive community and have been able to expand their house to 6 bedrooms and have added a bathroom. Still, dear Lord!! Anyhoo, I think they are amazing. Here is the link to their official site: Bollmann Family

Enjoy!



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Feedback by backBlog