<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, April 07, 2003

Job update: Am substitute teaching in 2nd grade and kindergarten the last week in April. I am really looking forward to it. I also submitted my application to a temp agency so hopefully I will be bringing in some money in the near future. Michelle is about to schiz out because we have not tailored our lifestyle to our new budget (read: we have no money but keep going out anyway). I should be freaking out too but am surprisingly calm.

Patriotic Songs: I am in love with the American Idol version of Proud to be an American/ God Bless the USA. I am so glad they are releasing it as a single. I am super nerdy when it comes to patriotism. I went through a crazy American flag phase in high school and college where I had so many things that were decorated with American flags- bathing suits, Converse sneakers, t-shirts, various pins, socks, Christmas ornaments, etc. I was no American flag band wagon hopper after 9/11. I just pulled out all the stuff I had owned for years. I love Lee Greenwood's God Bless the USA and have for years.

Loving a patriotic song is one thing. Writing a judgmental song that does not even make sense is another. I am a country music fan and was listening to our local country station (92.5 WXTU) when I got out of the shower today. I heard Have You Forgotten by Darryl Worley for the first time. What a bizarre song! I don't understand why he is singing about the war and Bin Laden. I know that President Bush wants us to believe that this war is about Bin Laden but I just don't buy it. I think this war is about Hussein. I wish Bush would just say that. I still would not be in favor of war but at least I would not feel betrayed as well. Anyhoo, that's my beef with Bush, not Worley. My deal with Worley is this- I think he wrote this song in about 25 minutes and thought he would capitalize on the war, make a little money. In doing so, he could not find anything to rhyme with Hussein so he rhymed Bin Laden with "Have you forgotten" and had himself an insta-country hit. What a lame attempt at accusing other people of being less patriotic and compassionate than you are and make money at the same time.

Speaking of country and WXTU, I just realized that WXTU is doing a vote on their website about whether or not they play the Dixie Chicks. I did not know this was going on. I have not listened to WXTU in awhile. Anyone out there who believes in Natalie Maines' right (and the right of all Americans) to free speech, please hop on the site and vote for the Chicks!

Big up: Want to give a shout out to my sister Cathy who kicked major butt last night at her Junior Recital at Millersville University. That girl can sing! One of the highlights of the night: my nephew Joshua clapping and yelling "Momma" each time Cathy walked off the stage. Special thanks to Cathy for the surprise song: I Have Confidence from Sound of Music. It was super! Could not help thinking of Gram and Pop, watching Julie Andrews kick her heels together and throw off her hat, lying on our bellies in front of the TV. Those were the days!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Feedback by backBlog