<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 11, 2003

I left work early on Thursday with a weird stomach issue- maybe something I ate. Stayed home on Friday because I still felt awful. Realized on Friday as I was sitting on the couch knitting and watching Driven: Dark Roots, the Unauthorized Anna Nicole Story, that my chicKami looked really weird. The increases and decreases were too close together. I was nearly done the knitting that was to be done circularly according to the pattern but in reality still needed about 4 inches of knitting. What a nightmare...I had skipped the gauge step and boy, did it come back to bite me. Every book, web page, blog, pattern, etc I have read has extolled the wonder that is the gauge step. It is boring as all get out, but if you skip it, you end up like me- with over 11 inches of knitting that is useless! So, I frogged it (tearing out stitches for all you non-knitters- think rip-it, rip-it). So now, I have three rows of ribbing done, and I have needles that are two sizes bigger than the ones I started out with. I did the gauge step this time and I am so glad I did because I was tempted to simply go up one needle size but swatching showed me that I needed to go up two.

I have knitted four mice for Wendy's Mouse-a-Thon. I want to make some mice to send to our little buddies Lucy and Bowser (our friends' 3 month old kittens). For now though, all my mousies are going to the Mouse-a-Thon. These are quick little projects and a great way to learn and practice cables. This whole knitting thing amazes me. I always thought of myself as bright but never creative (I come from a family where I am the smart one, Cathy is the creative one, Angie is the good, sweet one. Bobby, as the boy, has sort of escaped this but at 13 years old and 5'10 he is of course the tall one! Not one of we three girls is taller than 5'4!). I have really surprised myself by not only teaching myself to knit, but by being willing to try new things, new stitches and techniques. And Cathy kicked butt at school this semester so now I guess we are all breaking out of our roles. Heehee!

Last week when I was sick, working on the mousies and thinking about sending them to Lucy and Bowser, I realized that there is a Christmas stocking for Lulu in with our Christmas decorations. And today, I was skimming the side bar of Michelle's blog and realized that she still lists "playing with Lulu" as one of the things she likes to do. I have really been missing Lulu over the past week. I guess it is because of Bowser and Lucy. I don't know. It isn't so much about wanting a kitten at this point as it is about missing my friend Lulu. My Mom thought it was so sad when I called Lulu my friend when she died but bottom line, she was. She stuck by me during the fall when my anxiety was out of control and I was literally afraid to leave the house. She was at home on those days when I left work early with borderline panic attacks and she would snuggle with me on the couch while I watched a movie. She sat on the side of the bath tub and batted at the bubbles when I was taking a bath a day to settle myself down. I feel sad when I see blogs with the Knitting Kitty ring icon on it because I wish I had my kitty and could talk about her on my blog. It makes me so sad to think about how little time she was with us- only 8 months. For a 10 month old kitty to have heart disease and to fall ill so suddenly was a terrible shock to both me and Michelle. I suppose it is understandable that we are still missing her.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Feedback by backBlog