<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, September 21, 2003

Philly Knit-Out 

Hey kids! Happy Sunday.

Went to the Philly Knit-Out and Crochet today in Rittenhouse Square. What an
f-ing madhouse. You would never know I have panic disorder with agoraphobia...sane and healthy people would have had anxiety at this place. It was a mob scene with new knitters on the first floor and technique mini-lessons on the second floor. I enjoyed lessons in cables, intarsia, and modular knitting.

I have done cables before, thanks to Wendy's mouse-a-thon but I got a good handout at this lesson which gives me confidence to now read cable patterns.

Modular knitting, or domino knitting or any of the dozens of names that this goes by was interesting. I have seen some cool scarves online over the past few months (I think Amy over at IndiGirl was working on one a few weeks ago) that are made up of a series of triangles. This technique seems like it would be good in that instance. No seams to do. Just picking up stitches on the previous shape.

Intarsia was the highlight for me. Rachel and Latin boy whose name I still do not know from Sophie's Yarns taught this. I think I could do a little color work after this mini-lesson. No handouts here but I totally think I could read an online tutorial to refresh if need be.

Because I taught myself to knit, I don't have a great deal of confidence about it. I feel good about how I knit socks because I took a class. I am a little nervous about knitting in public though because even though I am finishing projects and they look good, I wonder if my techniques are wrong. Oh, for goodness sake, poo on anyone who judges my knitting. I am having a grand old time!!!

Last note on the knit out: I wore my chicKami (picture still to come) and a pair of khaki shorts. I figured people would be wearing things they had knitted and boy was I right. There were some very unattractive articles of clothing at this event! Not one person asked me if I had made my top. I think I should take that as a compliment. Every person who was asked if they made what they were wearing was in something that was so obviously hand made that it made me want to cry! I am not saying my chicKami is some piece of knitting art that everyone should admire. I am just saying that it does not look like a dress made from scrap yarn, or a sweater with alternating rows of eyelash yarn. Dear God, people, use the eyelash yarn as an accent, please!!!

Am excited to watch the Emmy's tonight. Hope Friends wins big. To be honest, I have no idea who or what shows are nominated so I am off to do some research.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Feedback by backBlog