<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, December 14, 2003

Mittens! 

I adapted the pattern from the froggy mittens I have been making (from the Holiday issue of Family Circle Easy Knits) to make strawberry mittens to match an Ann Norling strawberry hat I made for a coworker's niece.

This is the first real adaptation of a pattern I have done. I am a directions kind of girl. I have no problem substituting yarn in a pattern. I knit very tightly so I always use needles about three sizes larger than a pattern calls for. But other than those things, I follow directions. It was bold for me to adjust the cuffs of these- the first 5 rows in stockinette so they will roll like the hat's brim, and then another 5 rows in k1p1 ribbing.

Also, I used double pointed needles. One thing I do not like about the froggy pattern is that the mittens are knitted flat and then seamed. It does not make any sense to me! Why would you flat knit something that is circular? I have not read Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears (it's on my Christmas list) but I subscribe to her philosophy- why would you ever knit something flat and then do finishing if you do not have to! I love circulars!

So without further ado, here they are!




Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Feedback by backBlog